Piston crowns are fully reconditioned from start to finish in our State-of-the-art Houston facility where we monitor all processes from pre-machining, to welding, to plating and finally the precision grinding. The piston crown is pre-machine using CNC equipment to remove all cracks on fireside face and entire groove area. Then units are placed in Fully automatic robotic welders that completely build up area into on solid pcs. Then units are stress relieved and placed on Vertical CNC lathes and an automated process machines the piston and grooves to makers specifications depending on model number and prepares the unit for plating of ring grooves. This CNC process ensures that every unit comes out identical and always to specifications. The piston crown is then prepared for the plating process which is conducted with all electronic and controlled equipment using the latest rotating plating technology. After the desired plating thickness is achieved the piston crown then travels to the automated precision grinding machine. During this stage the grooves are grinded using CNC and digital equipment which ensures the finished product is within maker tolerances and specifications.
A. Piston Crown standard full reconditioning procedure
- Removing of all accessories
- Grit blasting and cleaning
- Visual inspection, mangnaflux crack test
- Pre-machining, welding and final machining of ring grooves area and combustion face (up to 6mm).
- Welding of combustion face with Inconel layer (option)
- Stress relieving
- Chrome plating of the ring grooves.
- Final grinding to original dimensions
- Internal cleaning of cooling water bores (if applicable)
- Final inspection and hydro test
- Fitting of removed and/or renewed accessories
- Rust protection and packaging